The Strategic Organizing Center is committed to protecting your privacy. We maintain the privacy of your information using security technologies and adhere to policies that prevent unauthorized use of individually identifiable information.
What individually identifiable information does Strategic Organizing Center collect and how is it used?
We collect individually identifiable information when visitors register to receive email alerts, subscribe to a newsletter, or take action on an issue. This information includes name, address, and union affiliation. We may also monitor and track information such as visitor usage patterns, participation in advocacy campaigns, and email engagement such as open rates and click-throughs. We compile this information into statistical aggregates which we use for internal purposes including, but not limited to: improving our web service, member communications and our client service. The only individually identifiable information we collect is information that visitors voluntarily submit. This information is used by Strategic Organizing Center to communicate with you in the future (if you have given your permission), to send messages from you to decision makers which you have authorized, and to understand your interests and activities. We keep confidential any personal information entered during registration. Any information collected will not be shared with anyone except for Strategic Organizing Center employees.
Email removals, member profile review, and updates.
If, for any reason, you would like to be removed from any or all of our email lists, you can unsubscribe by visiting your subscription management page (details below) and clicking the unsubscribe button, or you can opt-out of future emails by stating this desire in a reply to any email we send you. If you have joined our email list, we maintain a private, password-protected member profile page you may visit any time. You can review the information you have entered, update that information, and remove yourself from any specific email subscription list. A direct link to your subscription management page can also be found in the footer of any email we send you. You may also access your subscription management page by visiting this link and logging in.
Protecting your privacy
As part of our commitment to ensuring the privacy of our visitors, we do not sell or exchange names or any other personally identifiable information with advertisers, mass marketers or other commercial third parties.
We provide personally identifiable information to third parties on a completely confidential basis to enable a third party to perform certain tasks, such as maintaining a membership database or sending email alerts and/or newsletters on our behalf. These third party providers are committed to protecting the privacy of our members and subscribers, and will use the personally identifiable information we provide only for the purpose of providing the authorized services. We may share aggregate information about web site usage and traffic patterns, stripped of any personally identifiable information, to third parties to comply with various reporting obligations and for business or marketing purposes.
Links to other sites
This web site provides links to other web sites. We choose our links carefully but cannot take any responsibility for the content of those linked web sites or for their privacy policies. Since we do not control these web sites, we encourage you to review their privacy policies before you use them.
Welcome to the Strategic Organizing Center website, hereinafter “thesoc.org” or “Website”). Please carefully review our User Agreement before you begin using the site. Thank you.
Although we may attempt to notify you when major changes are made to this User Agreement, you should periodically review the most up-to-date version. STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER may, in its sole discretion, modify this User Agreement at any time. By continuing to use this website following our posting of such changes, you agree to be bound by this User Agreement, as modified.
Through our sites, STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER provides users with access to an array of educational resources, including personalized content. We hope you find our sites useful. We reserve the right to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Website or any related sites, or any part of them, at any time, for any reason without prior notice to you. You agree that we shall not be liable for any such modification, suspension, or discontinuance.
General Use of the Website — Permissions and Restrictions
The STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER hereby grants you permission to access and use the Website as set forth in this User Agreement, provided that:
- You do not collect any personally identifiable information of others, including user names or email addresses, from the Website.
- You do not use the Website for any commercial purposes without the prior written authorization of STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER. You agree not to transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited advertising, promotional information, bulk e-mail or other solicitation using information obtained from the Website. You agree not to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of the Website with respect to material they post on the Website.
- You do not use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, “robots,” “spiders,” or “offline readers,” that accesses the Website in a manner that sends more request messages to the STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER servers in a given period of time than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a conventional online web browser. Notwithstanding the foregoing, STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER grants the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials. STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER reserves the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific cases.
- You do not transmit or otherwise make available any content containing any “virus,” “worm,” “trojan horse,” or any other computer code, file, or program designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
- You do not alter or modify any part of the Website.
- You do not circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the Website or our sites or servers (or networks connected to our Website).
- You do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or cause distress, unwanted attention, or discomfort to a person or entity on or through the Website or its communication systems.
- You do not transmit or otherwise make available on or through the Website any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, or otherwise objectionable, as solely determined by STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER.
- The STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER reserves the right to change or discontinue any aspect of the Website at any time, for any reason, and without notice to you.
- The STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER reserves the right to suspend or terminate a user’s access to the Website, without prior notice and at STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER’s sole discretion.
- This list of permissions and restrictions, along with the other terms discussed below, is not intended to be complete, but merely illustrative. We reserve the right in our sole and final judgment to determine whether conduct violates conduct requirements for the Website.
User Submitted Content
- You retain your ownership rights in your User Content. However, by submitting User Content to STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER, you hereby grant STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable, perpetual, and transferable license to use, reproduce, store, distribute, prepare derivative works of and display your User Content (and your user name) in any medium in connection with the activities and operations of STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER, its affiliated entities and successors. You also hereby grant each user of the Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Content through the Website, and to use, reproduce, and distribute such User Content for such user’s personal, non-commercial purposes. You understand and agree that STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER may retain, reproduce, distribute and otherwise use for any purpose copies of User Content that has been removed from the Website. The above licenses granted by you are perpetual and irrevocable.
- The STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER does not endorse, authorize or ratify any User Content, or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, and STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER expressly disclaims all liability in connection with User Content. STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights on its Website, and STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER reserves the right, but does not assume the obligation, to remove any content from the Website if notified that such content infringes on another’s intellectual property rights.
Your Use of Content on the Site
- In addition to the restrictions above, the following restrictions and conditions apply specifically to your use of content on the Website.
- The content on the Website (other than your User Content), including without limitation, the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, interactive features and the like (collectively, “STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Content”) is owned by or licensed by STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER. Similarly, the trademarks, service marks and logos contained on the Website are owned or licensed by STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER (“STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Marks”). Except as otherwise provided in this User Agreement or elsewhere on the website (e.g., in the description of a campaign), the STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Content and the STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Marks may not be downloaded, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any purpose whatsoever without the prior written consent of STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER. STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Content and the STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Marks.
- As part use of this Website, you may display, download and/or print pages from the site; you may link to the Website; and you may forward Website materials to others for uses that are reasonably related to the Website’s purposes.
- You understand that when using the Website, you will be exposed to STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Content, User Content, and other third-party content from a variety of sources, and that STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER makes no warranty about the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of or relating to such STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Content, User Content, or other third-party content. You further understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to User Content that may be inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable, and you agree to waive, and hereby do waive, any legal or equitable rights or remedies you have or may have against STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER with respect thereto.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act
If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Content or User Content infringes upon your copyright, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) by providing STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER’s Copyright Agent with the following information in writing (see 17 U.S.C 512(c)(3) for further detail):
Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed;
Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER to locate the material;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are, or are authorized to act on behalf of, the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Your name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address; and
- A physical or electronic signature of the owner of the exclusive right that is allegedly infringed, or that of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner.
The STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER’s designated Copyright Agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement can be reached at email@example.com. You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of the above requirements, your DMCA notice may not be valid.
For clarity, only DMCA notices should go to the Copyright Agent. Please use the Contact Us form for any other feedback, comments, requests for technical support, or other communications with STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER.
THIS WEBSITE IS PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS.” YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER WEBSITE SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER, AS WELL AS ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER PARTIES”), DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE AND YOUR USE THEREOF. THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER PARTIES CANNOT AND DO NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, CURRENTNESS, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OF THE SITE’S CONTENT OR THE CONTENT OF ANY SITES LINKED TO THIS SITE. NOR DO THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER PARTIES GUARANTEE THAT THE WEBSITE WILL BE ERROR FREE, OR CONTINUOUSLY AVAILABLE, OR THAT THE WEBSITE WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER PARTIES DO NOT WARRANT, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE PROVIDED, ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY A THIRD PARTY THROUGH THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER WEBSITE OR ANY HYPERLINKED WEBSITE OR FEATURED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE FORESEEABLE, RELATING TO THIS WEBSITE, INCLUDING ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF OUR WEBSITE, (III) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR WEBSITE, (V) BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE, WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR WEBSITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (VI) ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER WEBSITE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR USER CONTENT OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU. CERTAIN STATE LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. TO THE EXTENT THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OF THE PROVISIONS SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT MAY NOT APPLY. YOU AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER PARTIES AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, OF WHATEVER NATURE, THAT ARISE OUT OF YOUR USE OF AND ACCESS TO THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER WEBSITE OR YOUR VIOLATION OF ANY OF THIS USER AGREEMENT. THIS INDEMNIFICATION OBLIGATION WILL SURVIVE THIS USER AGREEMENT AND YOUR USE OF THE STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER WEBSITE.
Ability to Accept User Agreement
You affirm that you are either more than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations, and warranties set forth in this User Agreement, and to abide by and comply with this User Agreement. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13, as the STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER Website is not intended for children under 13.
You and STRATEGIC ORGANIZING CENTER agree that any cause of action arising out of or related to the Website must commence within one (1) year after the cause of action accrues. Otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.